1. For some reason everyone who could go out on a Saturday night in Denver…did. It was busy at every nightclub in town last night. Which is kinda’ awesome, because in my job as a private hire driver…my phone blew up with calls. I had to actually turn down a few jobs due to scheduling problems…in other words I left my teleporter and clone machine at home. 😀
2. Decompressing with Vodka…and a little flavoring is really a reward after a slammed busy evening.
2a. Potato Vodka beats the hell out of grain vodka any day of the week. This is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it.
3. Writing has its traditional “day off”. I almost always get busy with the work thing early on Saturdays and end late…so back to pounding the keyboard tomorrow.
4. I’ve been seeing people whining in the writing groups I participate in (from time to time) wondering about whether a writer is “born” or “made”. While a definitive answer isn’t on the table, I LOVE this quote from “Good Will Hunting” that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject:
Skylar: I don’t understand how your mind works.
Will: Do you play the piano?
Skylar: I wanna talk about this.
Will: No, I’m tryin’ to explain it to you. Do you play the piano?
Skylar: Yeah, a bit.
Will: Okay, when you look at a piano you see Mozart, right?
Skylar: I see “Chopsticks.”
Will: Beethoven, okay. He looked at a piano, and it just made sense to him. He could just play.
Skylar: So what are you saying? You play the piano?
Will: No, not a lick. I mean, I look at a piano, I see a bunch of keys, three pedals, and a box of wood. But Beethoven, Mozart, they saw it, they could just play. I couldn’t paint you a picture, I probably can’t hit the ball out of Fenway, and I can’t play the piano.
Skylar: But you can do my o-chem paper in under an hour.
Will: Right. Well, I mean when it came to stuff like that… I could always just play.
There is a grand canyon of difference between successful marketing…and successful writing. A lot of people confuse the two.
5. I’m deep into the flavored vodka at this point, so I’m going to leave the last bits at that.
Daypires, have a great day! 🙂